5.14.2010

Talking to strangers.

You aren't supposed to talk to strangers...especially if they have candy...or a dog...or anything even remotely interesting you might like to eat or pet or look at! We all had this simple rule hammered into us at age three people! In fact, it would seem that a certain number of us remain wary of chatting it up with the unknowns into adulthood, even in well lit social situations. Some people are just awkward, yes, but sometimes I'd swear that the shybee over by the punch bowl seriously thinks that something HORRIBLE will happen if ze walks up to ze's nearest fellow human and simply strikes up a conversation. I mean, I know, I know...our parents and kindergarten teachers were just trying to keep us safe from sharks and bears and other "predators"...but seriously, I think some people may have been seriously stunted...

Not me people, not me! In keeping with my strict policy of talking (loudly) to just about anyone, I have taken up a whole new hobby in my spare, stay at home non-mom time: talking to strangers on the internets! Sure I'd love to talk to all of you, friends and family back in Canada and in other parts asunder, but the fact of the matter is that when I'm extra lonely after everyone else I know here in the SK has gone off to work in the late afternoon, for the lot of you it's somewhere between 2-8 am, and quite frankly, none of you are terribly chatty when you're sleeping! But never fear, www.omegle.com provides the perfect solution! While you never know what might assault your eyes on Chatroulette, on Omegle you have the option of non-video chat with strangers from across the globe. Sure there's a whole host of creepers (like there are anywhere else), but there's also lots and lots of people who are bored (just like MEEEEEE!) and looking to pass the time chatting it up with a brand new pal! I know, I know, talking to strangers on the internet is nothing new, or terribly exciting to the rest of you, and you're all sitting there saying "hello woman, there have been chat rooms on the internet since like 1994 you weiner! Seriously, calm your self immediately!", but GUYS, this is different...because I'm doing it! No, but seriously, you know how in chat rooms, usually there's a pre-determined topic before you join and there's multiple people chatting it up on said topic at any given time? Well this is the best because you get to talk to just one person at a time and the two of you get to determine a topic of conversation between the two of you which certainly spices things up! And since there's not moderator, you can talk like to real people...even if that means you feel the need to argue from time to time. And if things get too out of control and you want to get the heck away from the freak you're chatting with, you can just end your convo and start up a new one at the drop of a hat! I love it. I just do. It's like freaking speed dating without the awkward that comes around when you sit down with someone you just don't like...you can just run away with no hurt feelings and little to no guilt! It's okay not to like the people you talk to...but sometimes you do! I've had some really great chats with some fine folks from Germany (Hey Jan!), India, Thailand, Indonesia, France, Tunisia, Sweden, home and even further away. I'm a big fan of global dialogue, and I love having the opportunity to chat with people about the places they live, the things they do and what they believe. Even if we don't become Facebook besties, and even if we never come into contact in any way ever again, every stranger becomes a little less strange after a five minute chat, and somehow, that's pretty encouraging. I know it's cheesy, but it makes me believe that maybe every roomful of strangers really is just a roomful of friends just waiting to be made. So get your butt away from that freakin' punch bowl and make some new friends everybody! (That's right everyone, I am literally just a giant pile of cheddar! Deal with it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment